Small Engine Mechanic
The Small Engine Mechanic is responsible for inspection, maintenance and repairs to lawn equipment and trailers, as well as the coordination of the fleet of vehicles. He or she ensures that team resources are coordinated and used efficiently, fleet is adequately operative, and company expectations are being met. The Small Engine Mechanic is expected to demonstrate and promote positive leadership principles, integrity, and ethical behavior and for building and maintaining trusting relationships with team members and clients.
This position reports to the General Manager and does not supervise any team members.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Technical or Trade school certification; or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- 5+ years of experience in the operation, repair and maintenance of small equipment, both gas and diesel
- Proficiency with driving a manual transmission
- Knowledge of construction/landscaping related equipment
- Ability to read and write well (in English)
- Ability and willingness to work weekend hours
- Ability and willingness to work overtime hours when needed
- Proficiency with all equipment listed in the “Special Equipment” section of this document
- Strong communication, collaboration, and training skills
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, good judgment, and an eye for detail related to landscaping
- Proficiency with computers, including Microsoft Office applications
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Working knowledge and skills in welding, brazing and cutting, hydraulics, engine rebuilding, sharpening blades, and minor auto body repair
- ASE Certification
- Familiarity of Ford vehicles
- Knowledge of DOT regulations
Required Licenses and Certifications
- CPR and first-aid certifications
- Valid Ohio Driver’s License that is not currently suspended or revoked (driving record must meet the insurance carrier’s policy requirements and Grunder Landscaping Co. driving standards)
Position Duties and Functions
- Maintenance and repair of a variety of sizes and types of engines, both gas and diesel, as well as a variety of other tasks such as brake repairs, trailer wiring and any other repair and maintenance items as required
- Perform preventative maintenance work, such as checking oil and fluid levels on all equipment
- Maintain inventory and records on repairs made, parts ordered, and part inventories
- Coordinate work with production and maintain communication for scheduling repairs and preventative maintenance
- Provide training to current team members on the proper safety operation of equipment
- Provide after-hours support for critical timelines
- Process work records of expended labor and material costs
- Perform road service on equipment
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Constant contact with managers, Group Leaders, Designers, staff, clients, client representatives, property managers, subcontractors, project managers, and vendors. The majority of the work (80-90%) is performed outdoors with constant exposure to environmental and weather elements including, but not limited to, heat, cold, rain, wind, snow, grasses, dirt, bugs, plants, trees, shrubs, flowers, dust, and pollen. Work is performed in close proximity to machinery and loud noises. Frequent exposure to fertilizers, fumes, and lawncare chemicals. Work involves regular travel to and from job sites and operating a motor vehicle (with or without a trailer) on public roadways .
This position requires the ability to work full-time (five days per week, minimum of eight hours per day) with extended workdays and weekend work during the season, at times with little or no advanced notice.
Must possess ability to efficiently and safely operate a variety of mechanical equipment and hand/power tools, including, but not limited to, articulating loader, skid steers, mini skid steers, mini excavator, string trimmers, bed edgers, rototillers, gas-powered sheers, plant augers, chainsaws, backpack blowers, and small, medium- and heavy-duty trucks with manual or automatic transmissions and truck and trailer combinations. Must be able to efficiently operate computers, cell phones, and related office devices.
Compensation and Benefits
If you’ve got what it takes, we’ll provide the rest. You’ll join a company with a stellar reputation and enjoy significant growth potential, along with:
- A competitive hourly wage
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Medical, dental, life, and supplemental insurances
- A 401(k) plan with company match
- A fun, family atmosphere with additional benefits
It’s Easy to Apply
Just complete this short application and you’ll be on your way.
Pre-employment drug testing and background/driving checks required.
At Grunder Landscaping Co., equal talent will always get equal opportunity.
Thank you for your interest in Grunder Landscaping Co. We are always looking for talent, so if you know someone who’d be a great addition to our team, please pass the word on.